Awards and Scholarships
The Visual Arts Department sponsors a number of honors and awards for its majors. We have scholarships and awards for current students and awards for graduating Seniors. The Seniors are presented with their awards at the Annual Student Awards and Recognition Gathering. This event provides the Visual Arts Department with the opportunity and privilege of recognizing those students who have provided service and leadership to the University, the Department, and the community at large each academic year. This occasion also provides us with the opportunity to congratulate those students who have made significant achievements in art and to acknowledge other academic awards they have received.
The following are for Junior or Sophomore students. Please contact the Chair of the Visual Arts Department for more information:
- Andy Jones Visual Arts Scholarship – This scholarship was established in 2007 from the funds collected from the sale of the “Connecticut Quarter” prints designed for the U.S. Mint by Andy Jones, Professor of Art. The recipient(s) must be a junior majoring in Visual Arts and in good academic standing.
- Connecticut Valley Litho Club Scholarship – This annual scholarship is for Connecticut undergraduate students majoring in the Graphic Arts/Printmaking Management field and Computer Communications (Digital Art and Design).
- The Jean H. Thoresen ECSU-AAUP Scholarship – This scholarship is for ECSU undergraduate students conducting independent or collaborative research projects. The scholarship will be awarded to assist with the costs involved in completing one or more research or creative projects and/or presenting research at an academic conference.
- Hans Weiss Visual Arts Award – Hans Weiss, friend of Eastern, Artist, Proprietor of the Fine Arts Studio and Gallery in Manchester, and a member of the Eastern Foundation Board of Directors established this award in 1998. This award is given annually to an Eastern student in good academic standing who is majoring in the visual arts and who will be registered full-time for the next academic year.
The following are for graduating Senior students:
Visual Arts Department Awards*
- Art Concentration Awards – These awards are given in recognition for outstanding academic and artistic achievement in Art History, Digital Art and Design, Painting, Drawing, Printmaking and Sculpture.
- Arnold Prince Award for Sculpture – In honor of Arnold Prince, an artist, educator, and sculptor, this award is given for outstanding achievement in sculpture.
- Excellence in Community Service Awards – These awards are given to students in recognition of significant service to or participation in the community or for outstanding charitable service work.
- Excellence in Leadership Awards – This award is given to students who have demonstrated leadership amongst their peers within the University and the Visual Arts Department.
- Excellence in Service Awards – These awards are given to recognize students’ excellence in service to the Visual Arts Department.
- Professional Artistic Activity Awards – These awards are given to students who have shown outstanding artistic participation in activities outside of the typical classroom setting.
- Robert Blackburn Award for Printmaking – In honor of Robert Blackburn, an artist, educator, and master printmaker, this award is given for outstanding achievement in and commitment to printmaking.
*Students are selected for department awards by the faculty in their concentration.
Other Scholarships, Grants, Loans and Financial Aid Information
Numerous types of financial aid are available to students at Eastern Connecticut State University. Begin your search by visiting the Financial Aid web page to get started.