Student Profile: Jessie Kohn ’14

Jessie Kohn

Jessie Kohn, Digital Art and Design, 2014
Jessie Kohn printable pdf

Some key factors in my decision to go to Eastern were its small size, proximity to home, and its affordability. Already having been familiar with Eastern and its programs through my brother, I knew it would offer a great experience for me too.

I chose Visual Arts as my major because Art has always been my passion. Getting my bachelor’s degree in Visual Arts was the next step in realizing my dream towards making Art my profession.

I remember taking a wood sculpture class with Professor Claudia Widdis. Having had no prior wood construction experience, I would have never thought I’d be able to think creatively with that type of media. The class helped me be a more well-rounded artist and served as a great complement to digital design—after all 3D digital design stems from real world 3D design!

I feel my Visual Arts education prepared me for my discipline. In my field (Digital Design), for instance, I feel that I’ve gained the necessary amount of knowledge to be able to able to start my career and then build on the base as I move forward.

Just like I’d hoped when I chose Eastern, the one-on-one time that Eastern’s faculty has shared with me was vital to my learning success. It helped tremendously that each faculty was a professional artist themselves. I was able to ask them about procedures in the “real world” and they gave me valid answers, not just theoretical ones. Faculty members also bent over backwards to help me outside of the class room, such as with letters of recommendations.

Even though as a graduating senior I won’t be able to take advantage of the new art facilities, I am proud to have been taught by the faculty that will become the core of those facilities. I am excited to see Eastern move towards new and greater horizons in the arts, as they are well deserving of Eastern’s center stage.

This entry was posted in Student Profiles. Bookmark the permalink.