Internships at the Institute for Sustainable Energy
The Institute for Sustainable Energy offers paid internships for Eastern students. Our interns are a very important part of our staff, assisting with all of our major projects:
- Student interns gain experience with energy benchmarking by analyzing energy data from schools, colleges, universities and state buildings. They learn how to enter data into EPA’s ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager benchmarking tool. Students may also accompany ISE staff on building energy walkthroughs to learn about building energy systems and operations and identify energy savings opportunities.
- Student interns support Connecticut’s Green LEAF School’s initiative, assisting with education programs and events, lesson research and design, and writing curriculum.
- Student interns help with technical support and outreach to Connecticut’s colleges and universities on sustainability. This includes assisting with the preparation of campus greenhouse gas inventories and climate action plans, implementing collaborative initiatives for the CT Alliance for Campus Sustainability, and preparation for the Connecticut Alliance for Campus Sustainability roundtable events and annual campus sustainability conference.
We mentor our interns and help them learn important, practical professional skills. For example, interns make formal presentations about their projects and research to ISE staff and other interns.
ISE interns are also actively involved in implementing sustainability initiatives on Eastern’s campus. Over the past year, interns have successfully:
- Created and maintained ISE’s website.
- Performed research on electric vehicles (EVs) and prepared a grant application for an EV charging station, which was funded and installed on Eastern’s campus.
- Improved the waste stream through conducting audits of Eastern’s waste and recycling receptacles around campus.
- Planned events and outreach for Eastern’s Solarize U campaign.
And our interns have fun!
For more information on internship opportunities at ISE contact email@example.com
The Institute for Sustainable Energy is developing an Eastern Sustainability Alumni Network to connect current students with alumni working in energy, environmental, and sustainability careers. Check back for updates or contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to become involved.
Connect with past ISE interns and alumni on Linkedin