User Conduct Policy Statement
Do’s & Don’ts
In order to provide an atmosphere conducive to research and study at J. Eugene Smith Library, the Library staff expects all patrons to comply with the following policies. Failure to comply with any portion of this policy may result in appropriate corrective action, which may include suspension of library privileges and / or expulsion from the Library.
- Be prepared to show that all library materials which you are removing from the Library have been properly checked out.
- Keep conversations quiet and to a minimum in study areas so as not to disturb others.
- Dress appropriately for a library setting. You must wear shoes and shirts.
- Accompany and supervise young children (under 12 years of age) at all times. (see CT State General Statutes, Sec. 53-21a).
- Comply with all policies and procedures contained in the latest version of the ECSU Student Handbook.
- Keep a lid on your beverage.
When in the Library, please DO NOT:
- Smoke or use tobacco products.
- Eat in the library.
- Direct verbal or physical abuse toward any individual.
- Carry a weapon (see the Connecticut General Statutes, Section 53-206).
- Use or possess alcohol or Illegal drugs.
- Behave in a disorderly manner, deface property, perform other acts which are prosecutable under state or federal law.
- Bring animals, except those animals assisting persons with disabilities.
- Use library telephones, computers, or other equipment improperly or without authorization.
- Enter into posted staff areas restricted to staff without staff permission.
- Use emergency doors and exits in non-emergency situations.
- Use electronic devices such as cell phones, pagers, or headphones in a way that disturbs others (i.e., no internet phone calls, cell phone calls or loud music in reference or study areas)
- Bring in bicycles. (bike racks are available outside the Library building)
- Play sports or other disruptive physical games in the Library building.
- Roller blade or skateboard in the building.
- Post notices of upcoming events or tape any notices on the walls in the Library building. All notices must be approved by the Library director and put only on bulletin boards.