Eastern students attend a highly energized Conservative Conference (CPAC) in Washington, D.C.

By Meaghan McFall-Gorman
Freshmen at Eastern Connecticut State University
English Major and Political Science Minor

This past weekend, from March 6th to 9th, several students from Eastern Conservative-Libertarian Club went to Washington D.C. to participate in the annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). The speakers featured included Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Rand Paul, Governor Chris Christie, Ann Coulter, and Sarah Palin among many others. Many are notable Republican political figures, however the conference itself is not exclusive to people who identify with the Republican party, rather it is meant for those with conservative to libertarian ideologies. The panels held throughout the conference demonstrated the differences of opinion even within the conservative ideology. Panels were held on topics ranging from the legalization of marijuana, Edward Snowden, Gun legislation, economics, possible American involvement in the Ukraine, and women in politics. As a female who identifies as conservative, I greatly enjoyed these women-based and hel panels, because they analyzed the unique state that is being a woman in a party that is condemned for having a “war” against us. The other panels were just as interesting, demonstrating the dichotomy of pot legalization as the new wave of conservatives (my generation) begin to take hold in society. Overall, the experience was extremely eye-opening experience, that has furthered my interest in politics and leaves me waiting until the next political conference I can have an opportunity to attend. I would highly reccomend CPAC to any student, any individual, of any ideology, as it is an intellectually stimulating and awareness-raising event all people should experience.

This entry was posted in Current students, Events. Bookmark the permalink.