About Madeline Bernstein and John J. DelMonte, Jr.
Madeline Bernstein is an Eastern Connecticut State University Hermann Beckert Friends of the University Award recipient. Mrs. Bernstein’s professional career was that of a registered nurse, and while not an alumna of Eastern, she has been a steadfast supporter of the University’s Theatre program.
Following the untimely death of her son John J. Delmonte, Jr. (Class of 1973) in 1991, Mrs. Bernstein had wanted to provide an enduring memorial in his memory. In 1993, she gave her son’s music collection of more than 300 opera, musical comedy, and libretto recordings to Eastern. In 1997, Mrs. Bernstein founded the John J. DelMonte, Jr. Endowed Scholarship in memory of her son.
BIOGRAPHY of John J. DelMonte Jr. (1951 – 1991) of Waterford, Connecticut graduated from Eastern in 1973. While at Eastern, John DelMonte acted, wrote, directed and served as president of the Drama Society. He helped in the creation of the Harry Hope Theatre. He organized an annual student drama contest which continues on as the Phoenix New Play Series.
Following graduation he had an active and multi-faceted career with the Metropolitan Opera and Lincoln Center in New York City; also with the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center; and with Ivoryton Playhouse in Connecticut. “John was an artist and as such a dreamer but unlike many dreamers he made his dream come true even for a short moment…” (memorial reading)
The John J. DelMonte Listening Room (Room 471)
Given by Mrs. Madeline Bernstein in loving memory of her son, John J. DelMonte (1951-1991), Class of 1973, the collection consists of Mr. DelMonte’s records, playbills, and book materials. Some of the playbills are framed and on display in the DelMonte Room.
John DelMonte‟s mother, Madeline Bernstein, generously donated his collections to the university in 1993. A dedication program was held on May 6, 1993. Later the collection was moved to a permanent home: the John J. DelMonte Listening Room in the J. Eugene Smith Library Archives and Special Collections which was celebrated with a dedication program held on September 27, 2000.