MAT 135P – Math for Liberal Arts Plus Resources
MAT 135P Course Description
This course offers integrated just-in-time Intermediate Algebra support. Mathematics will be applied to solving practical problems in a variety of disciplines, enhanced by algebraic content and technology skills. Mathematical topics include voting theory, financial mathematics, linear programming, identification numbers, and statistics. Additional topics may include fair division. This course is for non-STEM disciplines only and thus cannot be used to satisfy the Precalculus Mathematics Plus (MAT 155P) or Precalculus Mathematics (MAT 155) prerequisite for Calculus I with Technology (MAT 243).
Course Pre-requisites:Placement at this level or Completion of MAT 099
Credits: 4 (all of which count towards graduation)
MAT 135P Textbooks
- Math Skills Textbook: MAT 135P Math Skills Textbook for Students
- Applications Textbook: Custom Edition textbook by Comap, CP Eastern Connecticut State For All Practical Purposes 9th edition. ISBN-13: 978-1-4641-9078-0 / ISBN-10:1 – 4641 – 9078 – X.
MAT 135P Math Skills Summaries
Just-In-Time Math Skills Support for Voting Theory and Identification Numbers
Just-In-Time Math Skills Support for Finance and Fair Division
Just-In-Time Math Skills Support for Linear Programming and Statistics
MAT 135P Applications Summaries
The first link below leads to a list of selected exercises from the textbook for every chapter that this course will cover. The remaining two links are for online homework systems for the applications textbook
- MAT 135P Summary Information and Exercises
- Companion Web Site Open-access Web site.
- MathPortal Access code required. The ebook is available.
- Online Study Center Access code or online purchase required. The ebook and Assignment center are not available.
Links to Videos, Online Worksheets, Study Sheets and Notes
- www.mathtv.com is a comprehensive library of online video support that includes videos by topic and tutorials for every example in the textbook. Videos are mobile phone ready, many are closed captioned and all feature both instructor and student presenters.
- PreAlgebra and Algebra videos all stored on youtube and are approximately five minutes long.
- Hippocampus provides videos, animations, and simulations.
- Khan Academy Arithmetic and PreAlgebra provides videos.
- Khan Academy Algebra provides videos.
- www.onlinemathlearning.com multipurpose math help providing lessons, videos and worksheets by grades and topics.
- Pauls Online Math Notes provides online math tutorials, study sheets and notes.
- Middlesex Community College provides videos.
- Liberal Arts Topics provides videos and notes on some of the application topics covered in our math course.
- Mathispower 4u Tutorials provides videos.
- OpenAlgebra provides worksheets, videos and interactives.
- Linear Programming Grapher solves linear programming problems.
- Statistics Videos
Websites Below Have Limited Access to Free Videos
- www.educator.com Basic Math provides videos.
- www.educator.com PreAlgebra provides videos.
- www.educator.com Algebra 1 provides videos.
- www.educator.com Algebra 2 provides videos.
Graphing Calculator Information
This area provides you with assistance with using your graphing calculator.
Math in the Real World
Math is used throughout the world in both STEM and non-STEM disciplines. The following are links to formulas used in various disciplines.
- Accounting Formulas 1
- Accounting Formulas 2
- Economics Formulas 1
- Economics Formulas 2
- Mathematics in Sports
- Nursing 1
- Nursing 2
- Physical Science Tables Formulas and Equations
- Physics Formulas
- The Social Security Benefit Formula
- We Use Math
- GeoGebra is an interactive algebra, geometry and calculus application.
- Maxima is a computer algebra system.
- WolframAlpha is an online service that answers factual inquiries directly by computing the answer.
MAT 135P Instructor Resources
Fall 2015 Departmental Mathematics Achievement Center Participation Policy Deadlines
Students are required to complete the first 9 hours by the close of the MAC on Monday, October 19, 2015 and the remaining 9 hours by the closing of the MAC on Monday, December 7, 2015.
Note that students will receive credit for a maximum of 3 hours per day in the MAC. Students are welcome to stay as long as they wish, but they will only receive credit for 3 hours.