MAT 099 – Algebra Essentials Resources Page
MAT 099 Course Description
This course is designed to prepare students in both non-STEM and STEM disciplines for further study in math. Students will cover topics from Elementary through Intermediate Algebra. Use of a graphing calculator is required.
Course Pre-requisite: Placement at this level
Credits: 3 (none of which count towards graduation)
MAT 099 Textbook
MAT 099 Chapter Summaries for Textbook
The chapter summaries are intended to make you aware of definitions you should know and the mathematical skills you should be able to perform and apply.
Chapter 1 Linear Equations and Inequalities
Chapter 2 Linear Equations and Inequalities in Two Variables
Chapter 3 Introduction to Functions
Chapter 5 Exponents and Polynomials
Chapter 8 Rational Expressions and Rational Functions
Chapter 9 Rational Exponents and Roots
Chapter 10 Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
The first link below leads to a list of selected exercises from the textbook for each section in every chapter that this course will cover. The second link leads to instructions for enrolling in the xyzhomework system (if required by your instructor). The third link is to the online homework system for the textbook (if required by your instructor). The fourth link is a list of practice sheets available in the MAC for MAT 099.
- MAT 099 Summary Information and Exercises (updated 7-31-14)
- How to Enroll in XYZhomwork System Fall 2014 (optional use by instructors)
- www.xyzhomework.com (optional use by instructors)
- List of MAT 099 Mathematical Concept Practice Sheets located in the MAC
Links to Videos, Online Worksheets, Study Sheets and Notes
- www.mathtv.com is a comprehensive library of online video support that includes videos by topic and tutorials for every example in the textbook. Videos are mobile phone ready, many are closed captioned and all feature both instructor and student presenters.
- PreAlgebra and Algebra videos all stored on youtube and are approximately five minutes long.
- Hippocampus provides videos, animations, and simulations.
- Khan Academy Arithmetic and PreAlgebra provides videos.
- Khan Academy Algebra provides videos.
- www.onlinemathlearning.com multipurpose math help providing lessons, videos and worksheets by grades and topics.
- Pauls Online Math Notes provides online math tutorials, study sheets and notes.
- Middlesex Community College provides videos.
- Mathispower 4u Tutorials provides videos.
- OpenAlgebra provides worksheets, videos and interactives.
- SheLovesMath provides notes and examples from basic math through Calculus.
Websites Below Have Limited Access to Free Videos
- www.educator.com Basic Math provides videos.
- www.educator.com PreAlgebra provides videos.
- www.educator.com Algebra 1 provides videos.
- www.educator.com Algebra 2 provides videos.
Graphing Calculator Information
This area provides you with assistance with using your graphing calculator.
Math in the Real World
Math is used throughout the world in both STEM and non-STEM disciplines. The following are links to formulas used in various disciplines.
- Accounting Formulas 1
- Accounting Formulas 2
- Economics Formulas 1
- Economics Formulas 2
- Mathematics in Sports
- Nursing 1
- Nursing 2
- Physical Science Tables Formulas and Equations
- Physics Formulas
- The Social Security Benefit Formula
- We Use Math
- GeoGebra is an interactive algebra, geometry and calculus application.
- Maxima is a computer algebra system.
- WolframAlpha is an online service that answers factual inquiries directly by computing the answer.
MAT 099 Instructor Resources
Spring 2016 Departmental Mathematics Achievement Center Participation Policy Deadlines
Students are required to complete the first 9 hours by the close of the MAC on Wednesday, March 9, 2016 and the remaining 9 hours by the closing of the MAC on Friday, April 29, 2016.
Note that students will receive credit for a maximum of 3 hours per day in the MAC. Students are welcome to stay as long as they wish, but they will only receive credit for 3 hours.