Before registering for courses (including summer and intersession), see your advisor. If you do not have an advisor, see the department chair to get one assigned. You may pick your own advisorr (or change advisors) if you wish; otherwise a History faculty member is assigned in rotation.

There are two possible ways to major in History. See the brief descriptions below, but also check the detailed requirements in the catalog and talk with any History faculty.

If you are not yet a History major, fill out a Change of Major form, available from the History Office, Webb Hall 3rd floor or at the Advisement Center. See the History chair for registration advisement until your regular advisor is appointed.

The standard major makes ideal foundation for a liberal arts education and preparation for a wide variety of career options including teaching.

History and Social Sciences
This major is designed especially for students who are also seeking teaching certification, but you are not required to have this major. Students with History and Social Science major find employment in many differnt fields.

History with Concentration in American Studies
This  major is more interdisciplinary  and includes course work in a variety of areas related to American culture, such as English, art, political science, and sociology.

Double major
If you have two majors, you should have an advisor from each department. Only one advisor of your choice will be recorded as your official advisor.

A minor is optional and is not required for graduation. Many History majors complete minors for example in Political Science, English, and related fields and interdisciplinary minors, including African American/Third World Studies, Asian Studies, Latin American Studies, and Women’s Studies.

History Minor
You do not need an advisor in the History Department to declare a History minor. You can get informal advice from any History faculty or the chair.

Other minors
If you are interested in any interdisciplinary minor, see the coordinator or director of the appropriate program.

Education Certification
To be certified for social sciences in secondary education, it is not necessary to major in History and Social Sciences. See an advisor in the Education Department for specific requirements. You can choose the History or History/American Studies major if you wish, so long as you as you fill the education certification course requirements.



Why does my degree evaluation for History/Social Science show that I don’t have enough electives even though I have taken 5? 

You may not have taken the proper mix of courses.  You must have at least 2 US history courses and at least 2 global courses.

How do I know which are which:

Sometimes it is pretty easy to tell from the title; but if you have any questions check the catalog description under attributes.  US history courses have the attribute HUS and global ones are HGLO.  If you think a course hasn’t been counted properly, see your advisor or the chair.

I got a C- in one of my history courses, will it count?

No, you must get at least a C in a course for it to count for the History major.

What do I do in that case?

You can retake the course for a new grade (but you can only do this 3 times); or you can discuss with your advisor what you might substitute for that course.  If you got a C- in HIS 200 or your seminar, you will have to retake it.

What happens if I place a course on Credit/No Credit:

You can’t use that course for the LAC, a major or minor, or any other requirement except credits.  There are some courses you should avoid putting on C/NC:  your math and writing requirements in particular because you must take those and just getting credit won’t fulfill the requirement.

If I withdraw from a course, does it remain on my record:

Yes as either a WP or a WF but it will not count in your GPA

I took HIS 120 but not 121 and I’m a junior history major.  What should I do?

See your advisor about a course to substitute. As long as you have one of the two surveys, you  can substitute any US history course from the appropriate period for the other.  For example, if you took HIS 120 but not 121, you could use HIS 313 as a substitute.

I am a junior History/social science major and I haven’t taken HIS 120 or 121. Help!

Your best course might depend on whether or not you intend to teach. If you plan on teaching, discuss with your advisor getting permission to use HIS 310 to substitute for the HIS 120 or 121 requirement.  If you do not plan to teach (and don’t need a course recognized by the state as an American history survey) you have more options.  You can discuss with your advisor an appropriate course to substitute.

I tried to register for 6 courses but couldn’t – why not?  I have a 3.5 GPA and should be able to take 18 credits.

You can take 18 credits but you can only register for 17 during the initial registration period.  You will have to wait for drop and add to add the extra course.

I took HIS 363 but it didn’t count for my Tier II Individuals and Society, why not?

Courses that are in both the major and the LAC cannot always be double counted.  History majors can use HIS 120 or 121 in Tier I Historical Perspectives (History Social Science majors can also use HIS 116) as well as HIS 230 or 231 for Tier II Cultural Perspectives. But other courses such as HIS 363 or HIS 362 can only be used in one place.  Your degree evaluation will automatically put that course in your major but if you plan on using it for Tier II, just be sure to take an extra history elective.

I need to take PSC 110 for my teaching certification requirements, but I can’t register for it because I am a junior.  What can I do?

For most 100-level classes your advisor can sign a permission form that you take to the Registrar’s office.  It allows you to take a course you need at the 100-level.  The forms are available in the main history office.  Note, however, that you cannot use this for HIS 120 or 121.