Awards & Scholarships for English Majors
Each year the Department of English sponsors a number of awards and scholarships, and also honors its majors by holding readings of students’ creative or scholarly work. The Senior Seminar readings are held near the end of the fall and spring semesters.
Awards for English Majors
These are usually awarded to graduating seniors and include:
- Award for Academic Excellence … for a student who has demonstrated superior ability and dedication to reading literature and interpreting it well in class discussions and in written work
- Award for Commitment to Teaching … for a student who has demonstrated a commitment by participating in Teaching Internships or the Writing Associates program or through volunteer work in the area of teaching
- Award for Contributions to the Cultural Life of the Campus … for a student who has been actively involved as writer or editor in literary publications, or performer in theater, or other literary and artistic events on campus
- Award for Service to the Department … for a student who has helped with departmental projects, coordinated events, or organized student clubs that have connection with literature or writing
- Award for Lifelong Learning … for a returning or continuing student who has shown a steady love of literature, writing, and the pursuit of knowledge
Scholarships for English Majors
The Department of English currently grants two scholarships, which are awarded to juniors or seniors:
- The Constance Campo Scholarship … Established in memory of Constance Campo, who was a longtime member of the English Department staff, this scholarship is for a non-traditional student who has demonstrated excellence in his or her studies. This scholarship is awarded to someone who has shown sensitivity to gender and diversity issues as did Ms. Campo.
- The David and Janet Philips Scholarship … Established in honor of David and Janet Philips by their children, Donald, Kimberly, Evan, and Sandra (all ECSU graduates), this scholarship is funded through contributions from family, friends, and colleagues of David Philips, ECSU English Professor Emeritus, who retired from teaching in 1990. It is awarded annually to an undergraduate student who has excelled in the field of English, and has participated in theater, the student literary journal Eastern Exposure, or the Campus Lantern.
First Year Writing Awards
…for ENG 100 and ENG 100Plus students whose writing is innovative, creative, splendidly researched, or uniquely articulated