LAMBDA PI ETA – TAU NU Chapter
Lambda Pi Eta is the official Communication Honor Society of the National Communication Association. As an accredited member of the Association of College Honor Societies, Lambda Pi Eta has 400 active chapters at colleges and universities worldwide.
Lambda Pi Eta represents the three ingredients of effective communication described by Aristotle in his classic work, Rhetoric:
- Logos (Lambda) – logic
- Pathos (Pi) – emotion
- Ethos (Eta) – character and ethics
The Communication Department at Eastern Connecticut State University hopes that all of our students will demonstrate those qualities in their academic, professional and personal lives.
In 2005, Eastern’s chapter of Lambda Pi Eta gained its national charter. Our chapter’s official name is Tau Nu.
Membership is by invitation only. In order to be inducted into Lambda Pi Eta, students must meet the following requirements:
- have completed at least 60 semester hours in college
- have completed at least 12 semester hours of communication study
- have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- have a communication studies GPA of at least 3.25
- be in the upper 35% of their graduating class
- currently be enrolled as a student in good standing
- display commitment to the field of communication
Lambda Pi Eta Objectives
- Recognize, foster, and reward outstanding scholastic achievement
- Stimulate interest in the field of communication
- Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
- Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas about the field
- Establish and maintain strong professional relationships between faculty and students
- Explore opportunities for graduate study
Activities of the Tau Nu Chapter
Chapter activities will vary according to the interests of members, but may include participating in Communication Department and University events, career development and graduate school workshops, professional networking opportunities, attending professional conferences, and engaging in social action.
If you are interested in more information or would like to determine whether you qualify for membership, please visit the National Communication Association, then select Student Organizations, or contact the Tau Nu Chapter advisor:
Dr. Terri Toles Patkin, Professor
Media Building, Room 248
Eastern Connecticut State University
Willimantic, Connecticut 06226