Transfer Students

Transfer Students

All Transfer Students:
It is important that every transfer student focus on taking courses equivalent to Eastern’s First Year Experience Tier 1 Foundational category courses before transferring so as to help facilitate graduating on time from Eastern. It will be important to take the following courses before transferring:

  • Tier 1 – College Writing (ENG 100 – College Writing, ENG 100P – College Writing Plus, which are “ENG* 101 – Composition” at Connecticut Community Colleges)
  • Tier 1 – One mathematics course that satisfies Eastern’s First Year Experience – Tier 1 – Mathematics requirement and any other prerequisite math courses required based upon an individual student’s math placement level. Eastern First Year Experience Tier 1 – Mathematics requirement courses are the following with Connecticut Community College equivalence in parentheses:
    • MAT 130 – Pre-calculus (MAT* 186 – Pre-calculus)
    • MAT 135 – Math for the Liberal Arts (MAT* 146 – Math for Liberal Arts)
    • MAT 139 – Number Systems (MAT* 143 – Math for Elementary Ed. I)
    • MAT 243 – Calculus I (MAT* 254 – Calculus or MAT* 253 – Calculus for Technologies)
  • Tier 1 – Social Sciences (social sciences other than ECO 201 – Macroeconomics for example take: PSY* 111 General Psychology I; SOC* 101 Principles of Sociology; or COM* 101 Intro to Mass Communication. Accounting Majors may take ECN* 101 Macroeconomics.
  • Tier 1 – Natural Science with a lab (4 credits)
    (If a transfer student will be commuting to Eastern or working, they may wish to take the equivalent of an Eastern First Year Experience Tier 1 – Natural Science with a lab course, at their prior institution before transferring.
    Transfer students may want to check Eastern’s First Year Experience course class list for Natural Science courses and then check Eastern’s Transfer Equivalence Tool to determine if their prior New England institutions offers an equivalent course.)

Other Transfer Considerations:
If you have already completed a Bachelor’s degree at another institution, and plan to earn a different Bachelor’s degree at Eastern then you are exempt from all First Year Experience requirements.

Writing Program Requirements for Business Department Students:
All Eastern students must complete Eastern’s university W1, W2, & W3 Writing Program Requirements.

The W1 requirement is satisfied by taking or transferring in either English 100, 100p, 200 or HON 200.
The standard W2 & W3 requirements are to take two W2 -Writing Enhanced courses and one W3 -Writing Intensive course in your major here at Eastern.

Alternatively, Accounting, Business Administration and BIS students that took one or more W2 courses at another institution can satisfy both the W2 and W3 requirements by taking: one W3 course in their major at ECSU and an additional W3 course offerd by Eastern Business Department in their major/minor.
Business Department W2 courses are: Accounting
- ACC 301 & ACC 311; Bus. Adm. & BIS – BUS 201 & BUS 225
Business Department W3 courses are: Accounting
- ACC 411; Bus. Adm: – BUS 301 or 365; BIS – BIS 377 & BIS 461

If you are transferring to Eastern with 75 or more credits, then you are waived from some of the Eastern Writing Program requirements such as take two W2 – Writing Enhanced
courses. Please contact the Writing Program faculty and staff at (860) 465-4639 for further information and verification of your individual remaining Writing Program requirements.
To schedule an appointment with the Eastern Writing Center click: Here. You may alternatively contact the Writing Center at (860) 465-0382, located in the Smith Library Room 107 (1st Floor).

(Note: Transferring to Eastern after completing 70 credits may delay your graduation due to long course prerequisite chains)

All students transferring to Eastern regardless of the courses transferred must complete at least two LAC Tier 2 courses from differentTier 2 categories and the Tier 3 Capstone Independent Inquiry course at Eastern.

Transferring from a Connecticut College or University:
While attending a Connecticut Community College or another Connecticut university and planning to transfer to Eastern, a student should take the following steps:

  • Meet with Eastern Advising Center Staff when they visit your college or institution (Contact Eastern’s Advising Center at 860-465-4526 or advising@easternct.eduto obtain a schedule of upcoming visits to your community college or Connecticut institution by an Eastern representative.)
  • Consider taking part in the Connecticut State Compact Agreement for transfer credit. (contact the Advising Center at 860-465-4526-be admitted to Eastern while still at last year CT Community College)
  • Use the Eastern Admission Office’s Transfer Equivalence tool to verify that the courses you take at your other institution transfer in as specific First Year Experience Category course numbers or specific course numbers towards your major. (Take the courses that are equivalent to the approved LAC Tier 1 courses at your other institution.)

Important Transfer Credit Guidelines and Considerations:

  • Take courses that transfer in a specific courses that meet Eastern’s
    First Year Experience category requirements
  • Take courses that transfer in as specific basic Eastern courses with a specific course number
  • 30 credits or more waives you from Eastern’s First Year Experience requirement
  • LAC Health and Wellness Requirement and Waivers:
    • If you have a medical condition, you should contact Eastern’s Health Services: 860-465-5263.
    • Students entering Eastern with 60 or more transfer credits or an Associate’s degree are waived from Eastern’s First Year Experience Health and Wellness requirement.
    • Students with military experience, Please contact the Advising Center (Library 109) to possibly get waived from other requirements at 860-465-4526.
    • Courses taken at other institutions to satisfy Eastern’s Health and Wellness requirement must transfer in as Eastern’s HPE – 104 – Foundations for Health and Wellness.
  • Transferring General Education Courses and LAC Courses into Eastern:
    • If there is a specific course that you took at your other institution that you feel is equivalent of a course that satisfies an LAC Tier 1 or Tier 2 category, please contact the Advising Center if you did not receive First Year Experience transfer credit for the course so that you can start an LAC Transfer Credit Appeal.
  • Transferring Major Courses:
    • If there is a specific course that you took at your other institution that you feel is equivalent to a specific required course or elective course in your major or minor in the Department of Business Administration, please contact your Department of Business Administration faculty advisor so that you may start a Major Course Transfer Credit Appeal.
      Business Administration Majors remember that only one 3xx or 4xx Business elective course may be used to satisfy major requirements.From your other institution, you will need to supply a copy of the course’s catalog description and its syllabus as well as a copy of your transcript showing your grade for the course.
      (The transfer course in question must be evaluated by the corresponding course/subject area Eastern faculty instructor and department chair to determine if the course is equivalent and whether transfer credit should be granted.)

Major Course Sequence Chains:
The Accounting, Business Administration, and Business Information Systems majors each have long prerequisite chains. Therefore, it is to a transfer student’s advantage to pay attention to taking fundamental courses in the areas of writing, mathematics, social sciences, information systems, and basic business prerequisites before transferring to Eastern to help facilitate graduating on time from Eastern.

The following charts for each major, display the last semester a student should consider taking courses in the respective major’s prerequisite chains if a student intends to graduate in four years being enrolled two semesters per academic year.