Honors Program Requirements
University Honors Program
- English 200 Honors Expository Writing
- Honors Colloquia: Honors 360, 361, 362 [Titles and Subjects will vary]
- Honors 380: Directed Honors Research [2-3 Credits]
- Honors 400 Honors Research and Writing [3 Credits]
- Honors 488 Honors Thesis [4 Credits]
Biology Department Honors Program
- Regular participation in Biology Honors Student Discussion Group
- One semester of BIO 490 – Teaching Assistantship
- BIO 388 Biological Research and Data Analysis [3 Credits] This course satisfies the University Honors Requirement of Honors 380/400 and can be used in combination with MAT 243 to satisfy the math requirement for the Biology Major.
- Satisfactory completion of an Honors Thesis Research Project
- 9 Credits: [5 Credits of BIO 488 Honors Thesis Research and 4 Credits of HON 488 Honors Thesis]
- The BIO 466 -Seminar in Biology requirement for Biology majors can be waived in lieu of the satisfactory completion of the 9-credit Honors Thesis.
- Completion of University Honors Requirements
Department of Biology
Honors Thesis Guidelines
The following guidelines provide an outline of specific requirements and deadlines for departmental honors students during their final three semesters. In addition, students may request to meet with the Department Honors Committee at any time to discuss their research.
- Register for BIO 488 – Honors Thesis Research (typically for 2credits)
- Select a faculty supervisor and a suitable research topic by the end of the 4th week of the semester.
- Submit a preliminary draft of research proposal to faculty supervisor for approval by the end of the 8th week of the semester.
- Submit research proposal to Biology Honors Committee by the10th week of the semester. Proposal should be between 500-1000 words and should include:
- Title of Project
- Objectives of research (statement of problem, questions asked, hypotheses to be tested, etc.)
- Methods to be employed
- If approved by the Biology Honors Committee, proposal is then submitted to the University Honors Council for approval. If not approved, a revised proposal must be resubmitted within 2 weeks of notification.
- Submit a final copy of the research proposal to faculty supervisor and Biology Honors Committee by the 14th week of the semester.
- The Biology Honors Committee will review the student’s progress and, in consultation with the student’s faculty supervisor,will determine whether the student should continue in the Biology Honors Program or opt for satisfying the University Honors requirements only.
- Register for BIO 488 (typically for 3 credits)
- Continuation of research.
- Regular consultation with honors research faculty supervisor.
- Submit written summary of semester’s results to faculty supervisor and Department Honors Committee by the 14th week of the semester.
- The Biology Honors Committee will review the student’s progress and, in consultation with the student’s faculty supervisor, will determine whether the student should continue in the Biology Honors Program or opt for satisfying the University Honors requirements only.